[Dovecot] mbox or maildir?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Fri Mar 4 01:58:53 EET 2005

Brian Read wrote:
> I am using dovecot in an SMEServer (aka e-smith), and recently backed-up
> on one system and restored on another system the imap email
> directories.  The trouble was that dovecot "guessed" the mail type
> wrongly, and I ended up with "empty" ~/Mail directories (did it create
> or populate these?), and full, but ignored ~/Maildir directories for
> every user.
>
> Could someone point me to the chapter and verse of how (and when)
> dovecot decides which type of mail is in use, and how you can change the
> decision.  I tried editing /etc/dovecot.conf, but that didn't seem to
> make any difference.

The "default_mail_env" setting will allow you to declare where to find the
mail, and what format it's in.  This is (IMHO) much better than letting
Dovecot "guess".

http://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers

Section 2: "Mail location"

> Using dovecot 0.99-10 under a Redhat 7.3 base on kernel 2.4.20-18.7

0.99.10?  Ouch... you might want to see if you can find a RPM for a more
recent version, like 0.99.14...

--
Curtis Maloney