[Dovecot] mbox or maildir?

Brian Read brianr at bjsystems.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 11:48:46 EET 2005

Rick Jones wrote:

> Brian
>
> --On 03 March 2005 21:24 +0000 Brian Read <brianr at bjsystems.co.uk> wrote:
> ¦ I am using dovecot in an SMEServer (aka e-smith), and recently
> backed-up on
> ¦ one system and restored on another system the imap email
> directories. The
> ¦ trouble was that dovecot "guessed" the mail type wrongly, and I
> ended up
> ¦ with "empty" ~/Mail directories (did it create or populate these?), and
> ¦ full, but ignored ~/Maildir directories for every user.
>
> Did you migrate from one release of SME to another? ISTR that the
> layout of Maildir directories changed from 5.6 to 6.0. Dovecot's
> config is different on the different SME releases.
>
> Or did you migrate between SME and another Linux? Dovecot on SME is
> patched to use ';' as the separator rather than the usual '.'.

No, both were 6.0.0-01, but I updated it using the "smeplus" script
(before the restore).  I did the same thing a few weeks ago for another
client, and it worked fine, the only things I can think of different is
that I used a tape archive this time, whereas I used a desktop archive
before, and this time I _may_ have created a user and used IMP (horde)
to sedn adn receive an email beofre doing the restore.

I have since re-done it using a desktop archive, and NOT doing anything
to it before the restore, and it is has picked up the Maildir fine.

I'll do some testing on a test system in the next few days, but i
wondered if anyone could shed some light in the interim.

--
Cheers

Brian

http://www.abandonmicrosoft.co.uk