[Dovecot] pop before smtp

Ian R. Justman ianj at ian-justman.com
Sat Mar 5 19:53:49 EET 2005

Johannes Berg wrote:

> I don't know how postfix checks the pbsmtp thing, but IIRC dovecot has
> the ability to write into a database when people log in, so I think
> pop-before-smtp could be done without log parsing. You might want to
> review the mailing list archives (at gmane.org) and possibly you can get
> rid of pbsmtp.
>
> johannes

I use a different method for POP-before-SMTP which involves a hacked
copy of Perdition sitting ahead of Dovecot and a program called authd
(http://www.authd.org) which is far more reliable than log-parsing, and
probably as reliable as writing a database.

Personally, POP-before-SMTP is too kludgy for my personal tastes, but I
use it anyway for my users who can't do POP-before-SMTP.  Not to
mention, some broken mailers like Outlook prior to 2002 or so do not
allow you to do POP before SMTP or even POP only at all.  *stifles snide
remarks about Microsoft software's overall brokenness*

IMO, it's SMTP-AUTH and RFC 2476 all the way.

--Ian.