[Dovecot] Too many open files, etc.

Martin Preen preen at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Mar 7 12:24:16 EET 2005

"F. Even" wrote:

> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-02-28 at 11:39 +0100, Martin Preen wrote:
> >
> >>+) in general dovecot saves a lot of NFS-bandwidth compared
> >>to UW-imap. Thats what I was looking for. But there also seems
> >>to be a problem with large inboxes (> 10 MB) and/or large
> >>attachments. Is this right ?
> >>
> >>One user currently gets this error from Pine when accessing a
> >>large attachment: MAIL FOLDER "INBOX" CLOSED DUE TO ACCESS ERROR.
> >>AFAIK this error is related to some timeout problem.
> >>Has anyone seen this (and a solution for it) ?
> >
> > Hmm. No idea really.. But I'd rather not spend time trying to figure out
> > 0.99.x bugs. If this is reproduceable with 1.0-tests / dovecot-stable
> > I'll look at it.
>
> I've seen this in 1.0-test, but I've only seen it when Pine is accessing
> a mailbox, then an IMAP session with Dovecot as the server is opened.
> So...I guess the answer is simple, don't access the mbox via imap while
> using Pine.  ;-)

This one seems to be solved. After several tests the user said,
that it was just a broken (and large) attachment.

Thanks.
Martin

Martin Preen, Universitaet Freiburg, Institut fuer Informatik
Georges-Koehler-Allee, Geb.52, Zi.00-006, 79110 Freiburg, Germany

phone: ++49 761 203-8250         preen at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
fax: ++49 761 203-8242           www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de