[Dovecot] dovecot patch for TCB auth

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 8 00:03:07 EET 2005

On 7.3.2005, at 12:49, Thomas Hummel wrote:

> So we're planning (in fact are about to) patch dovecot-1.x in order to
> take those LDAP attribute (matching the TCB field of interest to us)
> into account. To do so, we wrote some documentation (still in a draft
> state) to extend our understanding of dovecot architecture and
> authentication process.
>
> Of course, we're going to give it (patch + doc) back to you and make
> it freely available. But we'd like to know if you :
>
>   - were already working on such a patch or planning to do so

I wasn't, and I doubt anyone else was either.

>   - were interested, once done (by us or you) to include it into the
>     official release, since it could interest some other person who
>     runs digital unix with TCB authentication

I'm not sure if I understood this correctly. How does TCB and LDAP fit
together? Does TCB simply provide LDAP view for its data? So is your
patch only about handling the extra LDAP fields, or is it about
providing some completely TCB-specific code (and LDAP being something
else)?

In any case, if it's entirely TCB-specific I doubt I'd include it in
the release, as there would be only a few users for it. I could put it
in the web site though and add some pointers in documentation that
there are other authentication plugins available as well.