[Dovecot] dovecot 0.99 + apple mail.app

alan premselaar alien at 12inch.com
Tue Mar 8 01:06:48 EET 2005

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 8.3.2005, at 00:06, Nicholas Riley wrote:
>
>> I just tested this again - I sent mail from Mail.app to two accounts,
>> one of which is running Courier, and one of which is running dovecot
>> 1.0-stable.  For both accounts, Mail.app chimed to tell me I had new
>> mail, 1 minute apart (delivery to the dovecot server takes longer
>> because it runs through fetchmail/procmail/spamassassin).  It was in
>> the background with my "combined" inbox selected/displayed at the time.
>>
>> The frequency with which it polls the server seems to be dictated by
>> the Preferences > General > "Check for new mail:" interval, which I
>> set to 1 minute for this test.
>

> Oh, with INBOX it works. With other mailboxes it doesn't.

This has been a known problem with Mail.app for a long time. (and a
major reason why i switched to Thunderbird)

if you're doing serverside sorting (presumably using procmail or
something equivalent) any new messages in any subfolders won't be
recognized by Mail.app unless you click on that subfolder (or click out
and back in)

that's a major pet peeve of mine with Mail.app

I've seen this with UW-imap, Courier and Dovecot.

Alan