[Dovecot] dovecot test62 vs test64

akolasny at jhu.edu akolasny at jhu.edu
Sat Mar 12 19:21:37 EET 2005

Greetings:

I've been using Dovecot 1.0-test62. It has been working well. I
tried to upgrade to 1.0-test64 but users could not authenticate.

Both versions I compiled with:

     ./configure --with-ssl=openssl; make; make install

They compiled and installed fine. The /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf needed
to be modified due to the new syntax. 1.0-test64 with the new
dovecot.conf didn't work. I'm using imaps. The error related to not being
able to authenticate. I reinstalled test62 with the original dovecot.conf
and everything worked fine again. My config files look like:

dovecot.conf-test62 looks like:

   base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
   protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
   ssl_disable = no
   ssl_cert_file = /usr/share/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
   ssl_key_file = /usr/share/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
   disable_plaintext_auth = yes
   login_dir = /var/run/dovecot-login
   login = imap
   login = pop3
   mail_extra_groups = mail
   default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
   auth = default
   auth_mechanisms = plain
   auth_userdb = passwd
   auth_passdb = pam
   auth_user = root

dovecot.conf-test64 looks like:

   base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
   protocols = imap imaps
   ssl_disable = no
   ssl_cert_file = /usr/share/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
   ssl_key_file = /usr/share/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
   disable_plaintext_auth = yes
   login_dir = /var/run/dovecot/login
   default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
   protocol imap {
   }

   protocol pop3 {
   }

   auth default {
     mechanisms = plain
     passdb pam {
     }
     userdb passwd {
     }
     user = root
   }

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something in the 1.0-test64 config
file?

Your comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony