[Dovecot] Re: (no subject)

Geo Carncross geocar-dovecot at internetconnection.net
Tue Mar 15 19:53:33 EET 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 12:40 -0500, John Peacock wrote:
> Geo Carncross wrote:
> > I happen find that to be about as easy as searching for anything else in
> > Thunderbird.
>
> That's not a positive affirmation.  I could easily say look for a
> message by searching for a Received header that looks like this:

Do you know what "affirmation" means?

"I declare that I happen to find that searching for Message-IDs is about
as easy as searching for anything else in Thunderbird."

When you stated:

"A bare Message-ID is useless in every mail client I have ever used"

That too was an affirmation. It just happened to also be false.

> 	by pop.bdmedia.net (8.12.3/8.12.3/Debian-6.6) with ESMTP id
> 	j2FEbTX9013497
> 	for <dovecot at dovecot.org>; Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:37:30 GMT
>
> which is just as unique, and just as unsupported by mail clients.

I don't know what you're trying to say here.

> > FWIW: Outlook and Outlook Express can also search Message-IDs. So can
> > grep.
>
> Yes, but since Outlook 2003, the Outlook client doesn't even _set_ a
> Message-ID at all and it relies on the SMTP or POP server to add one.
> And not all SMTP servers set a Message-ID, because you'll find out in
> RFC-2822 that Message-ID is an _optional_ field.  There is a very
> important difference between "widely supported" and "part of a ratified
> standard."

If a message doesn't have a Message-Id, how does it make the point that
citing a message based on features OF THE MESSAGE is somehow worse than
citing a message using an external, online entity?

I do not want citations using an online entity. They are completely
worthless when offline. No matter the mail client.

Everyone can use a citation based on features of the message. Not
everyone can use a citation using an online entity.

You haven't said anything to the contrary. Nothing. Nada.

You have said you don't know how to use your email client and that
Microsoft doesn't know how to write an email client.

I do not think either of these statements are relevant or in dispute.

You have also said that you wish your email client did something it
doesn't presently do. I suggest you take that up with the people who
make your email client and not here.

Of course, if the message doesn't have any useful features, it won't be
useful to cite it.

> Until such time as Message-ID's are supported by mail clients as a
> builtin feature (in the canonical URL form <mid:12345blah at example.com>
> probably, see RFC-1111), they will continue to be useless to _me_
> personally, and I believe the vast majority of users.  I'm done with
> this conversation.

Good. This gesture will probably lower the amount of confusion you are
causing.

--
Internet Connection High Quality Web Hosting
http://www.internetconnection.net/