[Dovecot] strange email client problems

Gabriel Granger gabe at pancentric.com
Thu Mar 17 19:18:42 EET 2005

I've got some issues with dovecot, that I need to resolve, I only have
about 20 users in the office, but the average disk space used by each
user is anywhere from 1GB up to at the extreme end of the scale 7GB.
I'm using the mailbox format.  The server is a P4 2.8 with a 1GB of ram
and run off 250GB SATA disks.  most users have lots of structured
folders going as deep as 6 levels.  The problems I'm getting are odd

the problems that I'm getting at the moment are

"cannot copy mail to sent folder", but sends the message fine, this
doesn't happen all the time but happens to everyone but me... I'm using
OS X's Mail.app which seems to always work:) all my users are using W2K
and either ThunderBird or Mozilla

The other problem which I've been made aware of...

The users get the "loading message" or "opening messages" and the egg
timer goes round but never completes.  I managed to clear the problem
by getting the user to close their email client and then kill their
IMAP processes on the server, when the user logs in again the client
responds correctly.

Is there something I'm doing wrong with the configuration of dovecot?
would using MailDir help, I dont want to migrate from Mailbox unless
this change will make things better, I understand their are benefits
from using MailDir, but I dont know if I will continue to see the same
problems if I migrate.

Any help or advise would be great, I should add that everyone is
connecting to the server over SSL

Gabe