[Dovecot] [ #14832]: Capital letters in POP3 logins

Gerald V. Livingston II gerald.dovecot at sysmatrix.net
Wed Mar 30 21:38:12 EEST 2005

I just tested and IMAP doesn't ignore case either.

Remove the UPPER CASE maildir created by your POP3 login then do the same
thing with an IMAP client. Set up the IMAP client to use an UPPER CASE
username and when you log-in/refresh folders it creates the new UPPERCASE
empty Maildir all over again.

Crap, between this and the missing QUOTA feature I guess I'm gonna have to
rip out Dovecot and use Courier. I really wanted to use Dovecot for it's
speed with the indexing.

What I don't understand is -- all usernames in my test database are stored
in lower case -- shouldn't it simply fail to match and cause the login to
fail? Can anyone point out how to force the match to be case sensitive?
I'll investigate and get back to the list. It would be "nicer" though if
Dovecot converted all username input to lower case before authenticating to
maintain uniqueness of email addresses.

Gerald