[Dovecot] How to check for keywords in IMAP store?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun May 8 14:03:15 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 09:47 +0200, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm checking my way to migrate from Courier to Dovecot. Wiki says that
> "there's currently no easy way to migrate them [the keywords]".
>
> Frankly, I lack the information to check if some client is using keywords
> at all.

You could just look at Courier's .keywords directory (or whatever it was
called) and see if there are any files in it. If so, some client uses
keywords. If you don't have any such directory at all, your Courier
version doesn't support them or I guess it could also mean that no
clients have actually used keywords.

Normally users don't though. Some clients use them automatically for
spam, but those aren't important.

> More importantly, is it OK to assume that when
>
> SELECT INBOX
>
> returns no \* in  OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ...]
> that the IMAP server does not allow keywords at all?

Yes.