[Dovecot] alternate rawlog directory

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Wed Aug 2 17:08:55 EEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 12:33:32AM +1200, Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> On 3/08/2006 12:16 a.m., Thomas Hummel wrote:

> >In rc2 sources, the rawlog directory seem to be hard-coded to be
> >looked for in $HOME.
> >
> >I'd like to have a way to centralized the place where rawlog files are, in
> >order to be able :

> These files are really only useful for debugging and tracing purposes, and
> Dovecot does not need them to operate.  Do you need these files for a
> particular purpose?

Thanks for your answer. I was actually thinking of rawlog because of a
mysterious case of message loss I had once on a previous beta or rc
release (with thunderbird).

My idea was that, with rawlog on, you may have a proof that, in case
of a message apparently "lost", it's not dovecot that loses it but the
UA that ask for it's deletion.

> Quite likely it'll just send your disk IO load through the roof, and
> degrade the performance of everyone trying to use your server.  In other
> words, maybe not something you'd want turned on on a production server or
> one which you want reasonable performance out of.

I have to agree indeed. So maybe the idea described above is relevant
only for a pre-production test.

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau