[Dovecot] stale imap processes with 1.0.rc6 on FreeBSD

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 11 06:20:12 EEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 21:28 -0500, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> My logs show multiple "dovecot: imap-login: Login" for same user (from
> same IP) -- over 130 times in less than one day. Is that normal?

Depending on the client and network connections, could be.

> As I don't know correct behaviour: should I normally have imap-login with
> start time of when I started dovecot? (In my case, they are recent times
> and not when dovecot started.)

No, by default one imap-login serves one IMAP login connection and then
dies. A new imap-login is created whenever a new user logs in.

> How many "imap" processes is normal for one user from one client (and one
> IP)? (I have probably had over a hundred today, but I killed many off a
> few hours ago.)

I think Thunderbird's default is 5, which is the normal maximum.

> sockstat does show several imap connections. But netstat shows same are in
> CLOSE_WAIT and have been for a while.
>
> There are many more "imap" processes without any network connection
> though.

These are the important processes then. What do ktrace and gdb
backtraces show for them?

Can you see if file descriptors still exist for the sockets? In Linux
I'd do that with ls -l /proc/pid/fd/