[Dovecot] Summerising users subfolders imap logs?

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Fri Aug 11 11:08:31 EEST 2006

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 02:48:01AM +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 16:23 +0300, Sysadmin wrote:
> >> Hello.
> >>

> >> Migrating from pop3 to imap I have now situation, that every user has a
> >> lot sub folders, for example 100 sub folders and now every mail check
> >> writes in the mail log also login/logout log for every sub folder:
> >>
> >> dovecot: Jul 11 16:16:31 Info: imap-login: Login: anti, [192.168.20.1],
> >> PLAIN, TLS
> >> dovecot: Jul 11 16:16:31 Info: IMAP(anti): Disconnected in IDLE
> >
> > What client is doing this? Either it's a bug in the client or the client
> > is behaving in a really stupid way. There's no point in creating a new
> > connection for each mailbox.
>
> Well, speaking from the client's perspective, it makes perfect sense to
> have five idling connections to five mailboxes that are expected to
> receive new mails rather than doing periodical STATUS polls on them. No
> client should rely on such a behavior, though, and a lot of people would
> probably say that it's insane to open 100 concurrent connections. I'd
> agree with them :)

Another issue with this problem is that it should be totally hidden
from the user.  I've seen this happening with Thunderbird which, if I
remember correctly, defaults to a maximum of five connections and even
this often conflicts with ISP (and other) IMAP setups.  The result is
an error message which 99% of users can't understand and can't fix.

The MUA and the IMAP server should 'negotiate' a mutually acceptable
number of ports.

--
Chris Green (chris at halon.org.uk)