[Dovecot] dovecot tring to load sql modules

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Aug 13 12:50:38 EEST 2006

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 06:36:38PM -0700, Dean Gibson (Mail Administrator) wrote:
> Dovecot is issuing:
>
> Aug 12 17:09:27 athlon1 dovecot: Dovecot v1.0.rc6 starting up
> Aug 12 17:09:27 athlon1 dovecot: Generating Diffie-Hellman parameters
> for the first time. This may take a while..
> Aug 12 17:09:28 athlon1 dovecot: Auth process died too early - shutting down
> Aug 12 17:09:28 athlon1 dovecot: auth(default): dovecot-auth: error
> while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.10: cannot open shared
> object file: No such file or directory
> Aug 12 17:09:28 athlon1 dovecot: child 28705 (auth) returned error 127
>
> That's because I installed the RPM from atrpms.net using "--nodeps".

Never, ever, really never rape rpm/dpkg/etc by cutting off
dependencies. These dependencies are there for a reason, for example
because the binary was built against mysql libs. You can't just cut
them off (unless they were dlopened like some plugins do)

> The RPM requires the above SQL library module, among others (inc.
> postgresql and sqlite).  However:
>
> 1. Why do I need ANY SQL library???  I want PAM to do the authorization.

That's what you want, what about your colleague next door? What about
the LDAP admin next building? What about me doing sasl?

We all have different ways of using dovecot or any other larger
software piece. You don't have to use mysql. But if the package has
been built with mysql support you need to at least leave the libs on
the system ...

> 2. If I have to use SQL, I want Dovecot to use PostgreSQL (which I have
> installed and am using in another application).

It's just a matter of configuration. Killing the libs is not an
option. Leave all required libs in and just use what you want to use.

> I hope the above is a dumb question, because that means the fix is
> easy.  No, I'd rather not build my own;  that's why I picked an RPM.

The fix is to _never_ use --nodeps in rpm and other package managers,
and to simply add the mysql libs and ignore their presence.

Unless you are setting up an embedded system and are running out of
space there is no reason not to allow mysql libs to install.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net