[Dovecot] Dovecot fails to come up when using ACLs (1.0.b5)

Jeff Turner jeff at atlassian.com
Mon Aug 14 02:16:53 EEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 09:31:54PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 21:03 +1000, Jeff Turner wrote:
> > [root at redback root]# /etc/init.d/dovecot restart
> > Shutting down IMAP daemon (/usr/local/sbin/dovecot1.0rc5): [  OK  ]
> > Starting IMAP daemon (/usr/local/sbin/dovecot1.0rc5): IEffective uid=65534, gid=65534
> > INamespace: type=private, prefix=, sep=/, inbox=yes, hidden=no, subscriptions=no
> > Imaildir: data=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability
> > Imaildir: root=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability, index=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability, control=, inbox=
> > INamespace: type=public, prefix=JiraSupport/, sep=/, inbox=no, hidden=no, subscriptions=no
> > Imaildir: data=/imap/mailboxes/jira-support:CONTROL=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability/shared-settings/jira-support/control:INDEX=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability/shared-settings/jira-support/index
> > Imaildir: root=/imap/mailboxes/jira-support, index=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability/shared-settings/jira-support/index, control=/imap/mailboxes/dump-capability/shared-settings/jira-support/control, inbox=
> > Elstat(/imap/mailboxes/jira-support/cur) failed: Permission denied
> >                                                            [FAILED]
>
> Well, this is a bit strange. When setting mail_plugins Dovecot executes
> imap binary as a dump-capability user so that it can check if the
> plugins added some IMAP capabilities. However it shouldn't get this far,
> it should have already printed the capability and exited. So it looks as
> if something removes DUMP_CAPABILITY environment variable.
>
> > Dovecot still fails to come up. When I strace
> > the process on startup, this is what it looks like:
>
> The strace is from the dovecot master process only. "strace -f dovecot"
> would show also what the child processes are doing.
>
> You could also change mail_executable to be a script which does:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> set > /tmp/dovecot.sets
> exec /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
>
> And then check if dovecot.sets contains DUMP_CAPABILITY=1 line.
>
> > I've attached my dovecot.conf, stripped of comments.
>
> I tested with this, but it worked fine with me. So the problem has
> something to do with your system instead of configuration.
>
> Hmm. Actually I can think of one more reason. Probably the most likely
> reason .. Your dovecot master binary is from 1.0rc5, but the imap binary
> is from some older Dovecot version which didn't yet understand the
> DUMP_CAPABILITY..

I think you're right. I have always upgraded dovecot with './configure
--program-suffix=... ; make install', then adjusting /etc/rc.d/dovecot to refer
to the new binary. With the rc6 upgrade I see it won't even start:

==> /usr/local/logs/dovecot <==
dovecot: Aug 14 09:19:02 Error: login: Protocol version mismatch (mixed old and new binaries?)
dovecot: Aug 14 09:19:02 Error: Login process died too early - shutting down
dovecot: Aug 14 09:19:02 Error: login: Protocol version mismatch (mixed old and new binaries?)

I shall revise my upgrade process and try again. Thanks!

--Jeff