[Dovecot] Dovecot - Issue with Maildir++ quotas

Andrew Richards ar-dovecot at nwdb.co.uk
Tue Aug 15 15:28:38 EEST 2006

On Friday 11 August 2006 19:24, Andrew Richards wrote:
> I've been bitten by an issue running Squirrelmail on top of Dovecot
> using Maildir++ quotas.
>
> Having configured these quotas in Dovecot, I notice that Dovecot
> appears not to exclude the 'Trash' folder from its quota
> calculation (which it should do, according to the Maildir++ spec).
> Unfortunately this breaks Squirrelmail if I try to delete a message
> from a close-to-quota mailbox - as per July's thread:
>    "Maildir++ quota - how to handle a full mailbox"
>
> Which unfortunately means that a fairly full mailbox can become
> 'Wedged' with Dovecot/Squirrelmail in this situation with its owner
> unable to delete messages if that's the only way they access their
> mailbox.
>
> I took a look at the source and found the 'Quota exceeded' lines in
> src/plugins/quota/quota-storage.c but didn't understand it well
> enough to dive in... except to notice that the 'Trash' folder
> doesn't appear to get excluded from the calculations.

To reply to my own query:

 - I've mis-quoted the Maildir++ spec - the Maildir++ Trash folder is
    ".Trash", which differs from ".INBOX.Trash" - so the latter
    shouldn't necessarily be excluded from the quota calculation.

 - I still wanted to get Squirrelmail working (with deleting mails
   when near/at quota when using Maildir++ quotas), even to the extent
   that quotas might not be enforced during the Squirrelmail/IMAP
   session. Therefore I've dug into the source and worked out how
   to temporarily double the quota during the session (well I think
   that's the effect of my modification) - I've attached the relevant
   patch file for this should anyone else be struggling with the same
   problem - your mileage may vary. This at least gets Squirrelmail
   working.

I think a good feature to avoid having to do a kludge like this would
be to add an option to the quota section of dovecot.conf where the
Trash folder could be specified as not counting towards the quota.

cheers,

Andrew.