[Dovecot] IMAPS + Outlook

Mark Adams mark at campbell-lange.net
Wed Aug 30 13:19:25 EEST 2006

Hi,

We have been using Dovecot 1.0 to serve Maildir format over IMAPs to a
client with an office of around 30 people, and a remote office of 10,
all using Outlook 2003. While users in the base office (location of
server) are not having issues with the server users in the remote office
are often having problems with Outlook freezing, or not being able to
connect. The dovecot log shows them logging in, but users report not
being able to open any mail.

We are having similar problems with 2 users that are often on 3G cards,
in that the headers download but when they try to open the file it gives
the 'must be online to download the message' error, even though they are
still connected to their 3G.

The net connection for the server is 2mb sdsl, which I have tested
myself (using thunderbird on linux!) and achieved good throughput and
reliable mailbox navigation.

Is there any Outlook work arounds we could be using? (currently using
idle timeout work around)

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark