[Dovecot] No tcp wrappers, other ideas to help stop brute force attacks?

Thu Aug 31 22:09:18 EEST 2006

David Rees wrote:
> On 8/30/06, David Rees <drees76 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Got fail2ban working, seems to work perfectly. I also used the tips
>> from http://www.the-art-of-web.com/system/fail2ban/ If anyone wants
>> the config file I'm using, let me know. I'm also using it to block
>> sshd attacks too.
>
> I had 2 people email me privately for the configuration, you can find
> my fail2ban.conf here:
> http://drees76.blogspot.com/2006/08/fail2ban-dovecot-and-brute-force.html

Great, thanks!

One question - I'm a dummie when it comes to firewalls (in general) or
IPTables (in particular) -

In the SSH section, how hard would it be to add a rule to immediately
ban any IP that tried to log into SSH as root? I always disable remote
root login, and never allow anyone near my box that doesn't know (and
agree with the reason) why... so anyone who ever tries to is an
unwelcome intruder - and if someone forgets, they'll just have to call
me and confess, and I'll have to remove the ban manually.

Anyway, many thanks for this - I'll have to spend some time studying it...

--

Best regards,

Charles