[Dovecot] Sending email using IMAP

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Fri Nov 3 22:06:56 UTC 2006

Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> On Friday 03 November 2006 19:36, Marc Perkel took the opportunity to say:
>> IMAP requires a password. SMTP it's optional. I think that consumer SMTP
>> should be replaced with not only something that requires a password, but
>> that the user has to log into the account that they are sending email
>> from. SMTP doesn't have to be tied to IMAP accounts. If you have an SMTP
>> account you can spoof anyone. My idea with IMAP sending is to deny the
>> ability of the sender to use a different email address that the one that
>> they are logged into. This is to prevent spam and spoofing.
>
> You never give up, do you? Every time you propose submission by IMAP many
> people tell you that there is no fundamental difference between that and
> authenticated SMTP.

I remembered another recent neverending thread "The future of email is
SQL" by the same author. One of these days he'll hit on a million dollar
idea. This ain't it tho... So please stop wasting Timo's precious time
with it!
Thanks,
Ken A.
Pacific.Net

Every ISP in the world, including the large-scale