[Dovecot] assertion failed: (need_space == (uoff_t)-mails[idx].space)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Nov 12 11:19:19 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 23:15 -0800, David King wrote:
> I'm running Dovecot dovecot-1.0.r13 on FreeBSD (FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-
> p10). Mail is stored in mbox format (dovecot.conf after the msg).

I fixed one reason for this in rc11, but I don't know why it would
happen in rc13 anymore..

> In dovecot.conf I have mail_drop_priv_before_exec = no, but I can't
> find the core file that I would expect it to dump, so I can't give
> you a backtrace. Hopefully the assertion in /var/log/maillog is enough.

You need to have mail_drop_priv_before_exec=yes to get the core files,
and ulimit -c set to be high enough before starting dovecot.

> With ~/.mail/Cron perpetually locked, I'm not able to receive mail in
> this folder, and with any IMAP client that tries to access that
> folder having the IMAP server shut down, it keeps me from getting
> mail. Any ideas?

If it happens only for that one mailbox, can you easily reproduce the
crash then? If so, could you put the mbox file through
http://dovecot.org/tools/mbox-anonymize.pl and send it to me? There's
something in the mbox that Dovecot doesn't seem to like.

>    passdb pam {
>    }
>    userdb passwd {
>    }
>    userdb prefetch {
>    }

BTW. There's no use to have prefetch there, since passwd will always get
used before that.