[Dovecot] configuration guidelines.

Ian Mortimer ian at physics.uq.edu.au
Mon Sep 4 06:16:57 EEST 2006

Our imap/pop service is moving from UW imap to dovecot 0.99.11 on RHEL4.
This is for around 200 users with lots of different email clients, e.g.:

   Windows:    outlook, outlook Express, eudora, thunderbird, netscape
   OS X:       mail, eudora, thunderbird
   Unix/Linux: evolution, thunderbird, pine, mutt
   Web:        squirrelmail

Apart from the example configuration file, I can't find any guides
for optimal values to use for dovecot's many configuration options.

A few that look like they might need changing are:

   login_process_size = 32
   login_process_per_connection = yes
   login_processes_count = 3
   mbox_dotlock_change_timeout = 30
   auth_count = 1
   client_workarounds =

Does anyone have any pointers to reasonable values for those or other
settings?

Thanks
--
Ian