[Dovecot] Maildir messages owned by Root.

Simon dicko at highway1.com.au
Tue Sep 5 10:50:22 EEST 2006

G'day

    I am having an interesting issue,  that I can not find a fixe for.
I am running dovecot 1.0 rc7,  on a Freebsd 5.4 x86 box, with around
1500ish users, using Maildir storage format.    I have a very small
number of user, with the same problem,  when messages are moved from
~username/Maildir/new to ~username/Maildir/cur a random number, of the
files ownership, will change to root.    And my users can then not
download any mail until this has been fixed.

    I  have an identical setup running on Solaris 10 x86,  that does not
have this problem.  Has anybody come across this before on Freebsd or
any other operating system.  Or have any suggestions, on what I can try
to fix the problem.   I have not been able to emulate it in a lab
environment, and the logs on the server do not produce an error.