[Dovecot] rc7 crashing under heavy load

billl at inetmsg.com billl at inetmsg.com
Wed Sep 6 04:13:33 EEST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Wakelin" <c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk>

> Too many open files - try increasing the number of file handles for the
> Dovecot master process; I use "plimit -n 4096 <Dovecot master pid>"
>
> Login process died too early - are you using NIS? It's too slow for
> Dovecot, I think. We create a Dovecot "passwd-file" from NIS overnight and
> then "HUP" the Dovecot master process to make it re-read it (we use it
> only for UIDs, as we use pam-ldap to Active Directory for authentication,
> but it could have the passwords in as well). Dovecot caches the
> passwd-file so it's very quick.

Chris,  I am new to Dovecot and this list, and struggled this weekend to get
Dovegot to authenticate the username against a "passwd-file" and using pam
to authenticate the passwords.  I was wondering if you could tell me what
the format of the "passwd-file" should look like.  I want to the username to
be user at domain, and tried stripping the domain part for username/password
authentication against pam, but that hasn't worked for me, so I thought I
would use a "passwd-file" like your doing.  Also, what does your
dovecot.conf section look like for using a "passwd-file" and pam?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Bill