[Dovecot] bug report, from apple.com

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Sep 7 10:40:17 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 16:56 -0700, Jason Fesler wrote:
> > You could work around this by creating yet another hidden namespace with
> > empty prefix. But yea, I guess it's still a bug in Dovecot. Although I'm not
> > exactly sure what separator it should return in that case. Probably either
> > the first non-hidden namespace's, or the inbox=yes namespace's..
>
> Bruce believed the problem was not so much the prefix but the seperator.

But the problem is that it asks for separator for the "" namespace,
which doesn't exist. Dovecot does return the separator as long as it can
find a namespace for it.

> In any case, I'd recommend advertising the inbox=yes namespace.

Some people however set inbox=yes namespace to be /var/mail/user mbox,
while everything else to be ~/Maildir with '.' separator. If those users
also set ~/Maildir namespace to "INBOX.", that would break them..

> My workaround was to set up a second dovecot instance, "stock", on a
> different IP, with a different (signed, ug) certificate.  In that
> configuration, the assumptions Apple Mail.app makes, work.

I don't really understand how this changes anything :)