[Dovecot] SSL_accept failed

Marcus Jodorf dovecot at killfile.de
Sun Sep 10 07:20:19 EEST 2006

Am Sonntag, 10. September 2006 01:45 schrieb OpenMacNews:

> > So thunderbird actually seems to work fine, but Mail.app doesn't.
>
> to be honest, that doesn't surprise me.
>
> personally, i've given up trusting Mail.app with any 'serious' imap
> usage.  "mebbe sumday" ...

Hmm, I've been using Mail.app for about the last 3 years with imap (most of
the time with courier) and to be honest never experienced any serious
problems so far. To be exact: I never experienced any problem at all.
It's not a very great or very fancy client but just does it's job, as far as
I'm concerned.

> that said, imho, there's no more robust imap client (well, gui-client,
> anyway) than Mulberry (http://mulberrymail.com).  if only cuz the
> author, Cyrus Daboo, is about as 'authoritative' as it gets.

I'm also currently trying out Mulberry. Besides the widget-set being
absolutely horrible it does quite well. On OS X. The current Linux Version
(4.0.5) seems to have a serious problem encoding mails. It only produces
utf-8 encoded mails (despite what you set in the preferences) but these are
completely broken when using the linux client. Whatever it produces - it's
for sure not valid utf-8.
Strangely utf-8 works with the mac version although it's the same version
allegedly coming from the same source.
Another funny thing with respect to robustness: I experienced some crashes
on OS X within a few weeks and the Linux version isn't able to quit without
segmentation fault at all.
No, you are definitely exaggerating. Mulberry has some good ideas and the
Mac version is quite ok (besides the really lousy gui) but at least the
Linux version is still more than a little buggy.

> > Do you think it makes a difference how you created the cert?
>
> short answer: yes.

I guess so. I just went the normal way (setting up CA, request, signing the
request) and it just worked out of the box with Mail.app (and Mulberry,
kmail, sylpheed) and dovecot. So there is IMHO nothing wrong with Mail.app
and SSL per se.

Marcus