[Dovecot] most of INBOX missing?

William Lott dovecotmail at wlott.org
Sun Sep 10 09:20:24 EEST 2006

Greetings.

I'm having an issue with dovecot that I'm hoping that someone can help
me with.  Most of the mail in my INBOX has mysteriously disappeared and
I'd like to get it back.  It's all in the ~/Maildir/cur directory and
dovecot reports that 1048 messages exist when given the SELECT imap
command.  But Thunderbird and the SEARCH imap command only list 25 messages:

    [wlott at rootbeer ~]$ ls Maildir/cur | wc -l
    1048
    [wlott at rootbeer ~]$ MAIL=maildir:~/Maildir /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
    * PREAUTH [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND
UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED NAMESPACE] Logged in as wlott
    x SELECT INBOX
    * FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft NonJunk $MDNSent
$Label1 $Forwarded Junk)
    * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft
NonJunk $MDNSent $Label1 $Forwarded Junk \*)] Flags permitted.
    * 1048 EXISTS
    * 0 RECENT
    * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1117080198] UIDs valid
    * OK [UIDNEXT 1700] Predicted next UID
    x OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.
    x SEARCH ALL
    * SEARCH 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26
    x OK Search completed.
    [wlott at rootbeer ~]$

I'm running dovecot version 0.99.14-8 under Fedora Core 4.  I saw on the
dovecot website that 0.99 isn't supported anymore, but I'm hoping that
someone can help me recover my lost email none the less.

Thanks,

-William