[Dovecot] Namespace with a single mailbox (for spam)

Jim Horner jhorner at arinbe.com
Tue Sep 12 09:57:17 EEST 2006

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 02:09, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> Thank you for the answer.  However this would not work, as a namespace
> has to be a directory.  What I want is either a "custom" namespace
> that doesn't directly map to a directory, so it will contain only one
> mailbox.

... possibly setting up a shared namespace, like

namespace public {
  separator = .
  prefix = spam.
  location=mbox:/var/spool/spam:\
	CONTROL=/var/mail/%u/shared-settings/support/control:\
	INDEX=/var/mail/%u/shared-settings/support/index
}

then using ACL plugin

protocol imap {
..
  mail_plugins = acl
}
plugin {
  acl = vfile:/etc/dovecot-acls
}

and creating a bunch of acl files for each user, so you'd have

/etc/dovecot-acls/user1 file containing just one line
user=user1 rlrwstiekxa

This is just an idea... looks like a lot of work. In any event, I think using
ACLs this way would eliminate users seeing all the spam mailboxes.

Jim