[Dovecot] Dovecot using authsasld

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Sep 17 02:08:49 EEST 2006

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> On Saturday 16 September 2006 08:56, Dag Wieers wrote:
> > I know that postfix 2.3 can use dovecot directly for sasl
> > authentication, and that would be a neat solution, but we're stuck
> > with postfix 2.2.
>
> You, of all people, stuck?!?! How could that be?
>
> I used several of your RPMs (thanks!) to improve a RHEL4 machine. You
> didn't have a Postfix 2.3 RPM, but I got the SRPM from Simon Mudd.
> There was simply no way I would accept an artificial limit on software
> versions, doing things the hard way, when Wietse and Timo have already
> solved those problems.
>
> Postfix 2.3 on RHEL4 is working nicely with Dovecot SASL.

But you loose support from Red Hat (or CentOsS) and every customization
makes you drift away from a certain standard. So you have different
arguments for or against a change from the standard and some things weigh
up more than others.

Luckily I'm happy with the saslauthd rimap solution without needing to
move postfix from supported (think: security assessment and security
updates) to unsupported. Even though they both probably work fine and
there may not be any security problems, ever :)

Kind regards,