[Dovecot] Running just part of dovecot

Marshal Newrock marshal at idealso.com
Mon Sep 18 16:57:50 EEST 2006

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:31:00 +0200
Christian Schmidt <christian at siebenbergen.de> wrote:

> Hello Marshal,
>
> Marshal Newrock, 18.09.2006 (d.m.y):
>
> > The mailboxes will be on another machine, accessed over NFS.  I
> > want to use the LDA for quota support, especially as it looks like
> > it will update the usage in the database.
>
> Well, I would use the MTA's quota features as the MTA can handle quota
> problems at SMTP time.
> Otherwise your MTA has accepted a message and passes it to the LDA.
> When the recipient's account is over quota, what will yiur server do
> with this mail?
> When already the MTA checks if the account is over quota, the sender
> gets a 4xx "Error", your server has no need to deal with a bounce, and
> the sender is well-informed.

Exactly.  Postfix smtpd doesn't handle delivery to the mailbox, so it
wouldn't be able to check quotas before accepting mail.  However, with
the quota information stored in a database, postfix would be able to
check and reject mail for users who are over quota.

--
Marshal Newrock
Ideal Solution, LLC - http://www.idealso.com