[Dovecot] Upgrading

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Mon Sep 25 03:03:34 EEST 2006

Chris Kenward wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> OK - I'm ready to upgrade my version .99.11 to the latest release candidate
> but I haven't a clue how to do that on a live mail server without potential
> disruption. Can anyone help with advice on the best way to do this?

Yeah, I'm still waiting to upgrade from 0.99.14.. but mostly that's due to time
limitations.

> CentOS latest release
> Running Sendmail/Procmail/Dovecot

Most of the work, from what I've seen, is in moving between config syntaxes.  If
you're using mbox, well.. mbox is mbox.  If you're using maildir, Timo has
graciously added features so Dovecot will convert old index/subscription/etc
files automagically.

So, if you're running a fairly simple setup (like I am), you can expect the
migration to be simple and painless.  The only big hassle I predict is perhaps
needing to blow away all the index files and start again - a task only
complicated by users putting spaces in filenames :)

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net