[Dovecot] Moving to dovecot

Ian C. Quorn quornic at whitman.edu
Mon Sep 25 21:06:07 EEST 2006

  We're in the process of moving to Dovecot.  We're currently running
UW-IMAP live with Dovecot 1.0rc7 on alternate ports for testing.  We're
set to switch to Dovecot tomorrow morning, and I'm sure I'll have lots of
stupid questions once that happens.  So I guess you can consider this
message an introduction as well as a preemptive apology.

  Our setup: our mailserver is a SunFire 880 running solaris 8.  Inboxes
are stored in /var/mail, home directories are in /home.  Mailboxes are
mbox.  Both /home and /var/mail are NFS-mounted from a NetApp filer.
Indexes are stored in /dovecot (this is a partition on local disk).  We
have about 500 users accesing their mail on this server.  Supported
clients are Outlook, Mac Mail, and Thunderbird (both PC and Mac).  Many
people access their mail via webmail (IMP Horde) instead of or in addition
to using a normal client.  We also have a few people who use Pine.
Authentication is against the local shadow file.

  Given this setup, do the following config lines seem sane?

login_process_per_connection = no
login_max_connections = 256
default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=/dovecot/%u
namespace private {
  separator = /
  prefix =
  inbox = yes
}
# for backwards compatibility:
namespace private {
  separator = /
  prefix = mail/
  hidden = yes
}
namespace private {
  separator = /
  prefix = ~/mail/
  hidden = yes
}
namespace private {
  separator = /
  prefix = ~%u/mail/
  hidden = yes
}
mail_read_mmaped = no
mmap_disable = no
mmap_no_write = no
lock_method = fcntl
mbox_read_locks = dotlock
mbox_write_locks = dotlock
imap_client_workarounds = outlook-idle tb-extra-mailbox-sep
pop3_uidl_format = %08Xv%08Xu
pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh

  The namespace stuff came from http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces - it
was listed as a way to allow backwards-compatability with UW-IMAP.

  So, anything there look like a bad idea?  Any other config parameters I
might want to tweak, tune, or otherwise take a look at?

  So far dovecot's been pretty much trouble-free in our testing.  But I
have noticed some error messages in the logs.  Anyone know what these
mean?  Are they anything I should panic over?

dovecot: Sep 25 09:34:19 Error: IMAP(cliftoja): UIDVALIDITY changed
(1034876030 -> 1159201281) in mbox file /home/wcts/cliftoja/mail/Common
installation codes
dovecot: Sep 25 09:50:24 Error: IMAP(cliftoja): UIDVALIDITY changed
(1156881790 -> 1159202005) in mbox file /home/wcts/cliftoja/mail/Junk
dovecot: Sep 25 10:04:01 Error: imap-login: Master sent reply with unknown
tag 180
dovecot: Sep 25 10:04:01 Error: child 1078 (login) returned error 89
dovecot: Sep 25 10:18:58 Error: login: tried to change state 0 -> 44 (if
you can't login at all, see src/lib/fdpass.c)

  Thanks in advance, and here's to (hopefully) a trouble-free Dovecot
migration (hey, it can't be worse than UW-IMAP).

  Ian Quorn
  System Administrator
  Whitman College Technology Services