[Dovecot] Not getting new mail notification

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Tue Sep 26 01:27:53 EEST 2006

Charles Marcus wrote:

>> I've no idea what ENHANCED_IDLE is. Some Thunderbird-specific name
>> for something? In any case there's no such protocol.
>
> Hmmm... googling, I see lots of references - but nothing concrete.
> Seems it may be some kind of extension to the IDLE protocol... Courier
> supports it - and in fact, almost every google hit is courier related.

You're right. See my earlier posting. ENHANCED_IDLE is specific to
courier, but it's not an extension to the IMAP protocol. It's just
courier's way of implementing it, such that it works with the IDLE
command, but allows some extra functionality.

>> The good thing with the STATUS-reply way is that the clients already
>> are parsing them. Most clients however seem to ignore all the
>> untagged events that they didn't themself request from the server.
>
> Cool - means it may be trivial to get the Client to just not ignore
> them...

Yes, it would be cool to get clients to actually do something with the
unsolicited status replies that IMAP servers send them. IMAP servers
can send a lot of useful information with these replies. With the
exception of a very small minority, most IMAP clients ignore these
status updates, and that's a shame.

--
Anand