[Dovecot] Not getting new mail notification

Robert Creager Robert_Creager at LogicalChaos.org
Tue Sep 26 06:00:25 EEST 2006

Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> Charles Marcus wrote:
>
> In my experience, the only way to get notified of new mail in more than
> one folder is poll all the folders regularly. It is ugly, and the more
> folders you have the more traffic it generates. Thunderbird makes it
> worse by initially selecting each folder (and subfolders) for a poll.
> Even a modest numbers of mailboxes will cause a lot of polling,
> especially if you check for mail every minute. One has to manually go
> and turn off the poll for all the folders where notification is not
> needed.
>
> The person who designed the IDLE extension was obviously not thinking
> properly. What's the point in having a multi-folder mail access
> protocol such as IMAP if the server can't notify the client of changes
> in the folders? However, the protocol's designer is rather pig-headed,
> and firmly refuses to entertain the idea of IDLE for multiple folders.

Thanks for all the info (and the following replies).  It's interesting
that a service that is server based (message storage), appears to want
client side filtering of those messages.

I thought I was moving up from POP3 so I could get my e-mail from any
old client, as I had all my filtering client based previously.  So I
moved it to server based (via procmail), but cannot get notification
now.  Not Dovecot's problem, just my pre-concieved notions being soundly
squished.

I love Dovecot.  It's been the easiest piece of software I've never had
to configure to get working ;-)

Cheers,
Rob