[Dovecot] Passdb passwd on FreeBSD

Jim Flowers jflowers at ezo.net
Fri Sep 29 15:51:30 EEST 2006

I am trying to use dovecot for both virtual and local pop3 mailboxes.  When I
try to access a local account, I get an "unknown user" reject from 'passdb
sql', as expected.

However, I also get a reject from 'passdb pam' with the message:

dovecot: auth(default_with_listener):
pam(username at domain.tld,###.###.###.###): pam_authenticate() failed:
authentication error.  Is this because it is trying to authenticate
username at domain.tld instead of just username?  What can I do about it?

Although I have a block for 'passdb passwd' following the 'passdb pam' block,
there is nothing in the log.  Why is this, I wonder?

Any help to point me in the right direction will be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Jim Flowers <jflowers at ezo.net>

believed to be clean.