[Dovecot] you got chocolate in my peanut butter?!

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Sep 29 19:50:14 EEST 2006

If all of your users reside in LDAP, it would be safest to bypass
nss_ldap and pam_ldap all together and have dovecot talk directly to the
LDAP database.

We've had nothing but success since we made the change on our end.  Not
only did it eliminate the problems that we were seeing, it also makes
the authentication path a bit more efficient (why have a 'monkey in the
middle' when you can talk right to LDAP?).

IMHO, I've always seen pam_ldap/nss_ldap as a band-aid type of hack.. :)

-Rich