[Dovecot] Procmail filtering versus Dovecot LDA (was: 1.0.rc29 released)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue Apr 3 04:06:55 EEST 2007

--On Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:55 AM -0400 Gerard <gerard at seibercom.net>
wrote:

> Personally, I like the LDA feature in Dovecot. Procmail is a memory hog
> with a cavorted rules configuration scheme. Its use has seriously
> declined in favor of better products now available.
>
> Procmail is best left to single user status. I would never consider
> employing it in a multi user environment, although I know it has been
> done. Why though I fail to understand. There are better and easier methods
> available.

I've been using procmail for a long time but I'm open to trying something
else. A look at the wiki indicates that Dovecot uses a Sieve plugin to
accomplish filtering.

<http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve>

What other "better and easier" methods are you referring to?

Are there any conversion tools for converting files of procmail rules to
Sieve syntax?

The bulk of my rules look for the Mailman List-ID header and file to a mbox
mailbox named after the list. For example, here's my Dovecot list rule:

:0 :
* ^List-ID:.*dovecot
mail/Lists/Mail/Dovecot