[Dovecot] Problems using GFS2 and clustered dovecot

Justin McAleer justin at fehuq.com
Thu Apr 5 15:37:04 EEST 2007

David Craigon wrote:
> I am trying to use dovecot. I've got a GFS2 shared volume on two servers
> with dovecot running on both. On one server at a time, it works.

Sorry to not answer your question directly, but do you have a good
reason to be using GFS instead of NFS? We experimented with GFS last
year (granted, not GFS2), and found its performance pretty horrible and
its stability comically bad... had we been paying for it, however, it
wouldn't have been funny. OCFS2 was better, but still unreliable. Lustre
was the best we found (it worked, at least), but it required a lot of
hardware/admin overhead. We tried other clustering filesystems as well,
and none of them was worth the trouble.