[Dovecot] Fully virtualized w/ postfix?

tquidca at gmail.com tquidca at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 19:23:07 EEST 2007

Hi folks,

I've poked through the archives and google and have not seen how do do this.
Is it possible to virtualize ALL emails on a system? That is, I want
delivery only to e.g. /var/mail/vmail/domain.tld/user/Maildir/, and for
authentication & userdb to:

1) Try /etc/passwd, and if someone is there, automatically append the
"default" domain, otherwise,
2) Authenticate off a mysql db or similar.

Is this kind of "fallthrough" user lookup and auth. possible with dovecot? I
assume the delivery can probably be done by just telling postfix to use
dovecot as the local delivery agent.

Thanks for your help!

--JB