[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.0rc30 message ownership set as root mail

Mel Llaguno mel.llaguno at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 22:18:31 EEST 2007

I've compiled the latest release candidate of dovecot and I am
encountering a strange problem when mail is delivered. I have my
installation configured to use Maildir. When messages arrive, they are
placed in the correct user directory, but the ownership for individual
messages is set to root and the group set to mail. This prevents these
messages from being displayed in my client. The error message logged is
as follows:

dovecot: Apr 08 13:11:08 Error: IMAP(mel):
open(/home/mel/Maildir/cur/_d2F.eyKGGB.mjolnir:2,) failed: Permission denied

The file permissions for the message are as follows:

-rw-------  1 root mail 1805 2007-04-08 13:02 _AqG.VxTGGB.mjolnir:2,

I also noticed that the log file in the root Maildir also has the same
ownership assigned (not the user's uid/gid).

Unless something has changed in dovecot.conf, this behavior is somewhat
unexpected. I've included my config file in case there is something
obvious that I am missing:

base_dir = /var/run/dovecot
protocols = imaps

protocol imap {
    listen = imap.domain.com
    ssl_listen = 0.0.0.0:993
    imap_client_workarounds = outlook-idle delay-newmail
}

disable_plaintext_auth = yes
shutdown_clients = yes

log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log

ssl_disable = no
ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/imap.domain.com.crt
ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/certs/imap.domain.com.key

login_dir = /var/run/dovecot/login
login_chroot = yes
login_user = dovecot
login_process_per_connection = yes
login_processes_count = 8
login_max_processes_count = 32

verbose_ssl = yes
mail_location = maildir:/home/%u/Maildir:INBOX:/var/mail/%u
mail_full_filesystem_access = no
mail_save_crlf = no
verbose_proctitle = yes
max_mail_processes = 128
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
mmap_disable = no
lock_method = fcntl

umask = 0077

auth default {
    mechanisms = plain

    passdb shadow {
        args = /etc/shadow
    }

    userdb passwd {
        args = /etc/passwd
    }

}

If anyone could help clarify this behavior, it would be greatly appreciated.

Mel