[Dovecot] Duplicate E-mail Problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 13 18:15:09 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 09:10 -0500, Phillip T. George wrote:
> Anyway, I'm having a problem, that may or may not be related to
> Dovecot.  Specifically, duplicate (and sometimes triplicate) emails are
> appearing.  These emails have exactly the same queue ID, so its not that
> they were sent multiple times.  These dup emails do not show up to me ever.

What kind of filenames do they have in maildir? Do you see anything in
Dovecot's error logs? The only reason why Dovecot would internally
duplicate messages is if it detects multiple filenames with same base
name, which aren't hardlinks to each others. And that could happen if
the maildir filenames aren't truly unique. You said you're using
Procmail, are you sure you're not using MH filenames
(http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir)?

If that's not the problem, you can enable mail_log plugin and check if
it logs that the client does a duplicate COPY.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/MailLog