[Dovecot] keeping indexes in tmpfs

Justin McAleer justin at fehuq.com
Mon Apr 16 18:06:51 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 10:41 -0400, Justin McAleer wrote:
>

> OK, that also causes it to read the mailboxes and save the message sizes
> to cache files.

I expected as much. But just to make sure we're on the same page, after
converting a user, only dovecot.index and dovecot.index.log exist in a
user's index directory, no dovecot.index.cache. However, all of the
user's folders do have indexes, not just the inbox. That is the expected
result, correct?

> And reading the mail spools? :)

I have the source mail spools on NFS as well.

> It could be done pretty easily only for index files by modifying the
> sources. I guess another option should be added for this.

Fair enough, I'll have a look at this if it does make a significant
difference, although I'm trying to keep source changes minimal :)

> Depends on how mailboxes are accessed. If message contents are read only
> once then I guess it doesn't matter. Probably the worst offender here is
> SEARCH TEXT/BODY command.

Understood... that's going to be nasty though, it's just a matter of
degree :)