[Dovecot] Maildir, INDEX, and folders

Justin McAleer justin at fehuq.com
Mon Apr 16 21:19:33 EEST 2007

Troy Engel wrote:
> I'm reading the wiki et el. regarding indexes, but can't come up with
> a coherent answer to the setup and what will happen. I want to take
> the indexes and move them off of NFS (~/Maildir) and place in
> /var/spool/dovecot/indexes, but not have to hand create everything
> (user homes, mail folders)
>
> So, I create a parent folder /var/spool/dovecot/indexes that has the
> appropriate permissions for writing by all users/dovecot. If I then set:
>
>  mail_location =
> maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/ovar/spol/dovecot/indexes/%1u/%u
>
> ...will the dovecot daemon(s) automagically create (A) the parent user
> folders (i.e. .../indexes/t/tengel/)(1), and (B) the necessary
> subfolders for all the child folder indexes? (i.e.
> .../tengel/.Lists.Dovecot/)

It will, but beware... all directories will be created as the user's uid
and gid. So, if you use a different uid for each user, you should
manually create the /var/spool/dovecot/indexes/%1u directories first
with the proper ownership and permissions. Otherwise, when
/var/spool/dovecot/indexes/a gets created for user abc, it will be owned
by abc and creation of /var/spool/dovecot/indexes/a/asmith by user
asmith will fail.

If you're using the same uid for everyone, you don't need to worry about
it. On the other hand, if you're really doing just a one character hash,
is there a good reason not to just create the dirs ahead of time? :) I'm
doing a more complex hash, and have different uids, so I had to write a
script to make the directory structure. Just wanted to save you a little
possible time.