[Dovecot] keeping indexes in tmpfs

Justin McAleer justin at fehuq.com
Tue Apr 17 14:00:36 EEST 2007

Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> Justin McAleer wrote:
>> I have the source mail spools on NFS as well.
> Just asking - not looking for a flame war.  I had a miserable time
> trying to get NFS working with just my simple LAN - I've had much
> better results via Samba with either SMBFS or CIFS.  Off-topic - but
> can I ask why you're using NFS?

Going back to my first mail, the long and short of it is:

"However, we plan to run a cluster of these servers anyway, where we
will keep domains/accounts going to a particular server but fail over to
one of the others in case of an outage."

We have a new Netapp, and have been running our email off NFS for years
without problems. To be fair, we haven't needed shared storage before,
but we spent a lot of money on reliable storage, so there the data
stayed. What sort of problems have you run into? So far in my dovecot
testing I haven't had any issues either.

We did try a few clustered filesystems on a SAN mount instead, but the
results were, at best, poor.