[Dovecot] v1.1 plans

Wed Apr 18 14:17:11 EEST 2007

Richard Laager wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 21:46 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> I'm planning on keeping v1.1 almost completely compatible with v1.0.
>> There could be some minor configuration file changes, but for most
>> people v1.0's dovecot.conf should work with v1.1.

> Please, this needs to be "Everyone's v1.0 dovecot.conf will work in
> v1.1." If you're going to change the configuration file format even in
> some subtle way, please bump the major version.

Well, there is room for argument here... I would call a 'minor' version
going from 1.0 to 1.0.1. For these increments, I totally agree.

However, going from 1.0.x to 1.1 is obviously a larger change, and I
don't see a problem with *minor* config file changes, as long as they
are well documented - and Timo has never failed to do that.

In virtually every case, I imagine Timo would also provide backwards
compatibility, so it would be a non-issue...

> Likewise with plugin support... if you're going to break API or ABI,
> please bump the major version. It's easy enough to avoid breaking
> compatibility gratuitously. People do not expect configuration files
> to need changing between minor releases and they'll be quite upset if
> things break.

Agree - but anyone who upgrades *anything* without reading the release
notes is asking for trouble.

--

Best regards,

Charles