[Dovecot] Deliver sending bounces from 'MAILER-DAEMON@'

Erland Nylend erland.nylend at lyse.no
Tue Apr 24 13:49:21 EEST 2007

Hello,

I'm having a problem with postfix and/or dovecots "deliver". I'm
getting these lines in the mail log:

| Apr 24 11:42:08 smtp2 postfix/qmgr[6176]: 05BAE3B67E: from=<>, size=3055, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
| Apr 24 11:42:08 smtp2 postfix/qmgr[6176]: 05BAE3B67E: to=<MAILER-DAEMON@>, relay=none, delay=0.01, delays=0.01/0.01/0/0, dsn=5.1.3, status=bounced (bad address syntax)

After some debugging, it seems that those lines in the log appear if
I send mail to an account which is over quota. (I'm using the
Maildir++ quota)

This is from my dovecot.conf:

| protocol lda {
|   postmaster_address = MAILER-DAEMON at my.domain.tld
|   mail_plugins = quota
|   auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
|   hostname = my.mail.server
|   sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
| }

It seems to me that dovecot is sending bounce messages from
'MAILER-DAEMON@' ..

Does anyone know why this is happening, or how I can specify the
address to be used? I'm using dovecot 1.0.0.

--
Erland Nylend