[Dovecot] Deferring, instead of rejecting, messages when at quota

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Thu Apr 26 12:17:32 EEST 2007

Greetings -

I'm having trouble working out where to alter this behaviour (so
please forgive me if it turns out to be an Exim thing rather than
Dovecot!)...

My test service is using Exim as the MTA and Dovecot's "deliver" for
the LDA.  We are using Maildir mailboxes with filestore quotas.

When I send a large test message to myself that cannot be delivered
because I don't have sufficient available quota remaining an error
message is immediately returned to the sender and the incoming
message discarded.  The error message says this:

     Your message was automatically rejected by Dovecot Mail Delivery
Agent.

     The following reason was given:
     Not enough disk space

Instead of Exim rejecting the incoming message and generating the
error response because of deliver's failure to, umm, deliver I'd like
the message to be retained in Exim's queue so that it can be retried
periodically.

With our old/live system (Sendmail + UW IMAP's "tmail" LDA) I edited
the tmail source code to return a different exit code: one that
caused Sendmail to defer (re-queue) the message rather than reject it.

How do I achieve this effect with Exim + deliver please?
Is it a case of:

   * Setting something in Dovecot's configuration file (I can't spot
what!);

   * Changing a return code in deliver's source (if so, whereabouts
and to what?);

   * Or is there an Exim directive I need to add to the transport
definition in
     its configuration file?

With thanks,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *