[Dovecot] Outlook 2000/2003 frequent disconnect issue

Jeff Ramsey jefframsey at tubafor.com
Wed Aug 1 03:12:17 EEST 2007

I have been using Dovecot for an IMAP server for a few years now,
with no hitch. Even using Outlook 2K/2K3 as a client.

Yesterday, I had a user experience the 'Negative UIDs' issue spoken
of here: http://wiki.dovecot.org/Clients/NegativeUIDs

I performed all of the steps mentioned in this article, and it seemed
like it would work properly the first time the user checked their
email, and then after that, they would get this error again.

I checked to see what the latest stable version of Dovecot was, and
decided to upgrade. I was at 0.99.11-8 and the latest stable rpm for
my distro was 1.0.2-2.

The upgrade went fine. Or so I thought.

I am now getting the following message on all Outlook Clients:

"Your IMAP Server closed the connection....this can occur if the
connection is idle for too long"

I have scoured the Internet for this error and have come up with many
suggestions, none of which have worked. I have increased Outlook's
timeout period to the full 10 minutes, and I have disabled SELinux.
None of this seems to have worked.

Is there anyone out there who has actually had this issue and
resolved it? Can you please help?

Thanks,

Jeff Ramsey
MIS Administrator