[Dovecot] Mount options and NFS: just checking...

Mike Brudenell pmb1 at york.ac.uk
Wed Aug 1 16:19:30 EEST 2007

Hi, Timo -

On 1 Aug 2007, at 13:14, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> Q3.  Which of the filestores should I mount with the "noatime"
>> option?
>> A3.  Safe to use "noatime" for all three filestores.
>>       (I understand Dovecot will use utime() when needed on such
>> filestores,
>>       but am not sure if it will work on the NFS-mounted filestores
>> from the
>>       filer if access times are turned off at the filer end.)
>
> If your kernel caches atime updates locally, then maybe you shouldn't
> use noatime for message store until v1.1. It doesn't cause real
> problems, but Dovecot wastes time looking for old files in tmp/
> directories all the time.

Many thanks!  I think I'm nearly there now: could you just clarify on
the items flagged with (??) below?

In case it makes a difference, messages will generally be delivered
by a user's preferred IMAP server, but by Exim rather than Dovecot's
"deliver".

"actimeo=0" option
     NFS-mounted Message Store: NOT needed, but if used can help spot
new messages
                                more quickly
     NFS-mounted Control Files: REQUIRED for now
     Local Index Files:         Not applicable

"noatime" option
     NFS-mounted Message Store: Probably OK to use, but safer not to
until v1.1
     NFS-mounted Control Files: Can be used safely(??)  (Or as above??)
     Local Index Files:         Can be used safely(??)

With many thanks,
Mike B-)

--
The Computing Service, University of York, Heslington, York Yo10 5DD, UK
Tel:+44-1904-433811  FAX:+44-1904-433740

* Unsolicited commercial e-mail is NOT welcome at this e-mail address. *