[Dovecot] how to "authenticate plain" ???

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Aug 2 18:22:24 EEST 2007

Steffen Brunk spake the following on 8/2/2007 7:00 AM:
> Hello list,
>
> my name is Steven and of course: I got a problem...
> we are using dovecot 0.99 because it´s the actual stable version for
> RedHat 4 Enterprise.
> I am trying to authenticate using "PLAIN" but I don´t know how.
> that´s what I am doing:
>
> telnet conny.MYDOMAIN.de 143
> Trying IP.AD.RE.SS...
> Connected to conny.MYDOMAIN.de.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> * OK dovecot ready.
> a1 authenticate plain
> +
>
> a1 NO Authentication failed.
>

> what do I have to send after receiving the "+"-symbol?
>
> dovecot is waiting for something base64-encoded and I tried to give him
> by typing my username and pass and encrypted it here :
> http://www.php-einfach.de/base64_generator.php
>
> But I don´t know the correct syntax and it drives me crazy....
>
> thanks for ANY help
>

> Steve
>
> .
If you want to use something more current, 1.0.2 is available on the ATRPMS
repo (www.atrpms.net). I'm sure 1.0.3 will be there shortly, as soon as the
maintainer has time to build it. I am running 1.0.0 from there, and it is rock
stable and at least twice as fast, and much more compatible with my Microsoft
mail clients.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and